The Healthy Relationships Program is a prevention-based program offered by the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter in partnership with the Calgary Board of Education, the Calgary Catholic School Board and the Rockyview School Division. This preventative programming is centred on building healthier relationships using therapeutic groups and activity-based learning for youth, 12-18 years of age, in Junior and Senior High School.
Healthy Relationships is designed for youth who have:
- Are concerned about healthy dating relationships
- Had difficulty maintaining healthy dating relationships or have experienced dating violence
- Are concerned about violence within the family or the potential of violence within the family
- Have experienced conflict and/or abuse within the family
- Struggled to create or maintain healthy relationships with others at school, at home, or in the community
- 10 weekly sessions address topics such as:
- Family violence and abusive behaviours
- Power and control
- Conflict in relationships
- Communication and expression of feelings
The program also offers limited individual counselling as appropriate. Referrals are made at the school by teachers and Guidance Counsellors or through school partner programs.
Thanks to the community supporters of the Healthy Relationships program: